Sod Turning – New Torbay Municipal Depot

MHA and Mayor participate in Sod Turning for New Municipal Depot in Torbay

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Today Kevin Parsons, MHA for Cape St. Francis and Ralph Tapper, Mayor of Torbay, Councilor Craig Scott and Director of Public Works participated in a sod turning for a new municipal depot. The depot is being funded through a $5 million cost-shared investment between the Provincial Government and the Town of Torbay.

“The Provincial Government is committed to supporting infrastructure throughout Newfoundland and Labrador. Today’s sod turning for a new municipal depot in Torbay is just one example of the many infrastructure projects that are taking place in communities throughout our province. This $5 million facility will assist with providing quality services to the residents of the growing community of Torbay.”

The Provincial Government will contribute 70 per cent of the funding with the remaining 30 per cent covered by the Town of Torbay.

“Today’s investment assists with ensuring the necessary facility for storage and to provide maintenance on various pieces of equipment. I look forward to construction commencing on this new depot and thank council for their efforts in moving this project forward.”
-Kevin Parsons, MHA for Cape St. Francis

The new Torbay municipal depot will be centrally located in the town to provide for better service to the growing community. The depot will provide service garages for the town’s equipment and will also house the town’s animal control shelter and offices for the town’s Public Work’s staff as well as other support areas.

The municipal depot is designed to LEED Silver certification and as such is designed to be energy efficient including such features as recovered heat wherever is practicable, energy efficient lighting and reduced water use fixtures.

“Today marks the beginning of construction towards our new town depot. As Mayor, and on behalf of Council, I thank the Provincial Government for working with us on this much needed depot. As a growing town, we depot will provide the necessary work space for our staff and assist us in providing quality services to residents.”
– Ralph Tapper, Mayor of Torbay

Since 2008, the Provincial Government has invested over $800 million in municipal capital works projects.

QUICK FACTS

  • The Provincial Government is cost-sharing with the Town of Torbay an investment of over $5 million in funding for a new municipal depot.
  • The municipal depot is designed to LEED Silver certification and as such is designed to be energy efficient including such features as recovered heat wherever is practicable, energy efficient lighting and reduced water use fixtures.
  • Since 2008, the Provincial Government has invested over $800 million in municipal capital works projects.
Share This On

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *