Pending Storms: Be Prepared
A winter storm with the potential for whiteout conditions are expected to affect Eastern Newfoundland between Thursday March 30th and Saturday April 1st, 2017. There is also the potential for wintry conditions early next week, so watch weather reports related to that also.
There is still a lot of disagreement on the snow totals at the moment but caution is always recommended. Residents are advised to prepare as much as possible before the weather arrives. Standard practice is to have you and your family prepared for the possibility of a 72 hour emergency. To be prepared, we suggest having the following items:
- Water (3.5 litres per person, per day)
- Food (Non-perishable supply for 3 days)
- Battery powered or hand crank radio
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First Aid kit
- Tin can opener
- Cell phone with chargers such as an inverter or solar charger
- In case of power outage, cordless phones will not work, insure you have a corded phone to use at home
- To communicate, use non-voice channels such as text messages, social media or email. These use less bandwidth and keep phone communications working.
Torbay Town Hall 437-6532
Torbay Volunteer Fire Department 437-6542
Emergency Contact 911
RNC Non-Emergency / General Inquiries (709) 729-8000
Sign up for Torbay Alerts – Emergency, Water/Sewer, Traffic, Town Events, Recreation Program Alerts send to you via call, text or email.
Follow the Town of Torbay on Facebook
Follow the Town of Torbay on Twitter. Also follow #nltraffic for traffic related posts, #nlwx for weather related posts and #torbaynl for Town related posts
Newfoundland Power (Report an Outage) 1-800-474-5711
Environment Canada Local Weather Conditions/Advisories www.weather.gc.ca
Government of Canada Emergency Preparedness www.getprepared.gc.ca
Government of Newfoundland & Labrador Emergency Preparedness Fire & Emergency Services – NL